3.14.2005

prelude to the sunburned hand of the man review that's coming up

fuck, i had this planned for today but I got mixed up in my own thoughts....so I'll just leave this sitting here and write the actual review in another entry. forgive me for my thoughts...

so..uh..here goes what's been in my head for the past 15 minutes:
What is experimental music? This is a righteous question, far too many bands are lazily lumped in in the broad context of the word experimental. This sounds different! Let's tag it experimental! Oh yeah, that's deep man. Really, and I've been doing it myself maybe (don't really know) but in general the biggest part of music labelled as experimental has it's legs kneedeep in the conservative roots of traditional sounds. Okay, there is something to say for the argument that if you take a traditional sound and twist it a little you are experimenting. To me, at this point that's not my take on what experimental music should be. It should be truly innovative and as much otherworldy sounding as possible. And, to get into my cd collection, it has to be awesome, of course ;-). So if we narrow down the experimental music scene to my standards who can we lump in? I can't leave Varese out, although he'd hate it if he read this, the man was fantasizing about electronic sounds that weren't even born yet so bad that he solely energized a whole movement of pioneers who eventually gave birth to the whole electronic scene. That's like the core of all that's experimental. That's the definition right there. I might as well stop here. Although Sun City Girls, Miles Davis, Smegma (saw them last weekend, those old bastards still reign supremely!) can be counted as well. I can't even consider lumping in Wolf Eyes for what they create is just the evolution of what the Sun City Girls and Smegma laid the foundations for. So with this as the general thought of this piece, not much can be lumped in my take on experimental music and as the sane person I am, this is way too strict a definition. Doesn't mean you don't have to contemplate over this, after all, lazy journalism is the worst kind. So, blablabla.. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home